Friday, August 21, 2009

Wort Filtering

When you make beer, you end up with a big ol' pot of steaming wort, and it will have loads of CRUD. If you want to make your life easier and your beer clearer, you need to get the crud out.

So far I've tried:
  • A fine-mesh metal strainer
  • The strainer plus a coffee filter
The coffee filter is a bad move. There's way too much crud for a coffee filter. Might be a good move after a first pass, but not right off.

The metal strainer is pretty decent. Some crap gets through, but not a ton.

A little cheesecloth with my strainer might work real well.

Ultimately, I probably need to move to some kind of multi-pass system. I just haven't worked it out.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Danno!

    You need to send me a batch of your homemade Beer!

    By the way your pictures of your dog are halarious, him sleeping with his paws up is classic.

    BTW, say hello to Tiffany for me.. hope all is well with you my friend!!

    Take Care,

    Helio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helio,
    For sure I'll send you a few cold ones! I've got a couple six-packs of Coffee Stout left - It's caffeinated beer, and tastes sort of like chocolaty coffee. Goes real good with a steak. It's the perfect way to wind down after two or three red-eyes from Kennedy's :)

    Danno

    ReplyDelete