Sunday, February 7, 2010

Garden Planning

I've made some beta plans about what to plant in my gardens. Here they are.


The numbers (x1, x2, x3, etc) denote how many to plant in each square foot. The months denote the planting date. I've tried to stagger things throughout the season, within their limits.

North is roughly up in the image. You can see that I've also put the tallest things on the west side. The idea is that even the short things will get sun most of the day this way.

I've put some marigolds in each garden to help with bugs. Same thing with planting basil among the tomatoes - I've been told the smell keeps bugs away.

This stuff is entirely new to me, though. Still looking for more good gardening books. It's tough to find one that strikes a balance between being way too simply written, and annoying me by repeating itself (like Mel's Square Foot Gardening book), and ones that assume I know quite a bit. I'm sure that somewhere out there, there's an Alton Brown of the gardening world that'll go through all the details in an entertaining way, but not patronize me.

Seriously, Mel Bartholomew's writing annoys the bejesus out of me. SFG is an interesting system, but he seems like the kind of guy that would just never, ever shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment