Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Square Foot Gardens

I built a couple of Square Foot Gardens.

The big ones are for general vegetables and such. The little ones are for hops.



Hops need something to grow up. To keep things contained, I built a tower.

Building a tower goes roughly as follows:
1. Take a metal fencepost, and sledgehammer it into the ground a ways.
2. Take a ten foot piece of iron rebar. Sledgehammer THAT into the ground, inside said fencepost.
3. Compression-couple two ten foot pieces of 1-inch electrical conduit to each other.
4. Bolt a couple of ears onto the top piece to hold your line.
5. Run some twine or nylon line through the ears, and secure it to some stakes.
6. Insert tab A into slot B. Make sure you've got someone to hold your stakes so the line doesn't get twisted. (I didn't do this, and look what happened. I need to take it down and untangle things)



When you're building your boxes, I highly recommend long screws over nails. Nails don't hold together in that shape.

To get the boxes sitting flat, I used a long level along with a ruler, and measured the dropoff from a staked-off point. Then, I pretty much sharpied a line at that angle onto a 2x6, and cut it with a circular saw. I used some board-joiners to stick it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment